What is Kitting?
Kitting is the process where separate but related items are grouped, packaged, and shipped together as one unit. Filling orders by preassembling individual items into ready-to-ship kits instead of picking and packing those individual items as orders are received is known as kitting.
Companies outsource kitting because it provides the following advantages:
- Inventory cost savings. Reduce inventory by storing component products and finalizing product kits just before delivery.
- Response time. Respond quickly and economically to increased demand from end users like retailers, assembly plants, and consumers.
- Improved fulfillment. Fulfill individual consumer orders with one shipment by bundling related products rather than managing individual units.
- Kitting saves money. Companies opt for kitting services because it saves money on fulfillment costs.
- Cost avoidance. When you outsource kitting, your company avoids investments in facilities, equipment, people, and technology.
- Expert partner. When you outsource kitting to an established, experienced warehousing company, you gain a partner who is an expert in kitting and most likely other warehousing operations and fulfillment activities.
The Dynamic 3PL Advantage
Technology. When it comes to warehousing activities like kitting, you need the right systems and technology. Dynamic has invested in a state-of-the-art warehousing management system (WMS), RFID, sensors, and a variety of other tech that assures accuracy, efficiency, and good record keeping.
Engineered solutions. Good kitting operations don’t just happen – they get designed by experienced industrial engineers. We spend the time to understand the customer requirements and best configuration before we receive the first part. Upfront planning and design is one of the keys to successful kitting.
Process orientation. We have developed a bias toward processes and procedures at Dynamic. Our processes are typically enabled (and enforced) through technology. A natural outgrowth of our process orientation is order accuracy, efficiency, and continuous improvement.
Location. Dynamic’s location in Joliet, Illinois is one of the sweet spots for logistics and distribution in the United States. The strategic placement of our warehouses and distribution center allows us access to large and rapidly-growing consumer and customer bases across the country. Close proximity of the Port of Chicago, O’Hare International Airport, and the many interstates and expressways branching from the city of Chicago are extremely advantageous for moving both national and international freight.
Facilities. Dynamic has invested in world-class facilities and we pride ourselves on our maintenance procedures. Our facilities are clean, well-lit, and equipped with everything needed to run a successful warehousing and fulfillment center.